Thandai, a summer coolant is a mix of milk, almonds, rose petals and spices and is undeniably delicious. Also known as Sardai, this cooler makes an entry into our lives on the onset of spring and with the festival of Mahashivratri and Holi. With the presence of various spices and nuts, it cools down the body temperature and is, therefore, a healthy drink.
As much as it is easy to make, it is a preferred milkshake during Holi Processions. Make your Holi 2018 memorable and delectable.
• 1 ltr milk
• 5-6 tbsp sugar
• few rose petals or dried ones or 1tbs gulkand (cubical rose candies)
• a pinch of saffron strands
• few almonds slivered
• few cashews chopped
• few pistachios chopped (optional)
• 2 tsp water
For the Paste:
• 24-25 almonds (badam)
• 10-12 cashew (optional) (kaju)
• 10-12 pistachios (optional) (pista)
• 1.5 tbsp melon seed (magaz)
• 1 tbsp poppy seed (khuskhus)
• 1 tbsp fennel seed (saunf)
• 1 tbsp white peppercorn or black peppercorn (kalimirch)
• 4-5 green cardamom (hari elaichi)
Soaking dry fruits, seeds, and spices
1. Take a bowl and add 1 cup warm water
2. Add almonds, melon seeds, poppy seeds, fennel seeds, peppercorn, cardamom, dried rose/gulkand, pistachios, and cashews
3. Mix well and keep it aside for an hour or two. However, if you are using room temperature water, you can leave it to soak overnight.
Preparing the Paste:
1. After the soaking, strain the mixture, peel the almonds and blend the soaked mixture in a grinder.
2. Add a little water to the paste.
3. After mixing the paste well, remove and cover it aside in a bowl.
1. Boil the milk till the point there are bubbles all over
2. Add saffron, sugar and the paste to the milk.
3. Simmer the milk for 6-7 minutes in medium to low flame, until it thickens.
4. Let it cool down for 5 mins before refrigerating it for 10 to 20 mins depending on how cool you want it.
5. Garnish with rose petals, pistachios and cashews and saffron to give a colorful look and feel of Holi.
1. For Lactose intolerant: Almond milk can be used instead of Milk.
2. Reduce the amount of sugar in the paste, if you are using gulkand and do not want it to be too sweet.
3. In place of Thandai paste, one can also prepare Thandai powder:
For this -- roast the soaked ingredients, grind it into a fine powder and store it in an airtight container.
4. You can also freeze the thandai and enjoy Thandai Popsicles.
Oh and if you are running late, have prior commitments and hence cannot invest time in preparing the relishing Thandai, no worries! Give a twist to your Holi 2018 as Prabhuji Haldiram Thandai will be your savior in the hour of need.
It sums up to one of the best summertime beverages and powers up your body during a mercurial change in the weather. Group Hugs, Loads of tireless dancing and Thandai: are mandatory essentials of all Holi Celebrations.